Vinegar is an inexpensive and non toxic way to clean hardwood floors. Special care must be taken with hardwood floors to keep them glossy for the long run. Vinegar is a safe cleanser to use because the active ingredient in vinegar is completely biodegradable. Non-toxic and eco-friendly, common household vinegar kills bacteria and viruses. It will also last forever in the closet. It doesn’t break down over time.
So the next time you’re shopping for cleaning supplies, take a look at the types of vinegar that are on the shelf. For cleaning hardwood flooring, you will want to use white vinegar. It will not stain the floor and it’s cheap too!
The Vinegar Cleaning Method
- Make sure the floor is clear of rugs and furniture. You want to clean the entire floor in one pass.
- Make sure no one, person or animal will walk on the floor until it is completely dry.
- Make sure all loose debris is removed by vacuuming or dust mopping the floor.
- Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar to one gallon of warm water.
- Use a clean mop and wring it until it is damp. Do not use a very wet mop.
- Mop the floor from one corner to the opposite corner. Make sure you will have a way out of the room when you are done. Always mop with the grain of the floor. If This will hide any slight streaking that is left behind.
- Rinse the mop frequently and change the water when it gets dirty looking.
- Rinsing is not necessary. If you have noticeable streaks, a damp once-ever with clear water should cure them.
Now, just put the furniture and rugs back in place after the floor dries and you are done. There you have it. An easy and inexpensive way to keep your hardwood floors shiny and beautiful for many years.
For more cleaning tips, check out the house cleaning blog at MyConwaySC.com.