Keeping your kid’s areas neat and organized is not as difficult as you may think. The trick is making a few simple rules and staying consistent in enforcing them. That includes the parents. Nothing will undermine house rules faster than parents who don’t follow them. Children are much more likely to follow a parent’s example than listen to what Mom and Dad say. With that said, here are the tips…
(1) Take half of your child’s toys and put them away. Then, switch them out every month or so. The toys you bring back out will seem new again and their room will stay cleaner.
(2) Be sure to put labels on plastic tubs or any other containers that toys are stored in. This will teach the kids about sorting toys and help to keep them off the floor. Allowing the children to decorate the containers will make organizing fun and make them part of the process.
(3) Schedule a time each day for the kids to straighten up their room. If you want to get creative, make a game out of it and give rewards for a job well done. It builds the habit and it may rub off on Dad.
(4) Have the children to go through their toys every so often and pick out toys that they don't play with anymore. Help the kids pack them up to donate to other children who don't have enough toys. This reduces clutter and teaches the kids charity.
(5) Have plenty of bookcases and shelves where the kids can stack their toys and belongings. This is vital to keeping the floor clean.
(6) Set a good example by being neat and tidy yourself. Hang up your clothes and put your things away after you use them.
(7) Assign each child chores and set a time for when each chore is to be done.
(8) Install hooks and pegs on the back of the room door and inside of closet doors for hanging up book-bags and often worn sweaters and jackets.
(9) Letting the kids do some "adult" clean up jobs like loading the dishwasher or helping mom clean up after a baking is a fun way to teach responsibility, especially for smaller children.
Finally, allow children to listen to “their” music (no TV) while they work. This will take the drudgery out of the task and you might hear some new music you like!